Thursday, March 8, 2007

In the Immortal words of Elizabeth Berkley as Jessica Spano "I'm So Excited!"

So, I had been waiting for oh such a long time to hear some exciting news and it arrived on Monday March 5 2007. As of sometime in late July I will be a temporary resident of the South East Asian republic of SINGAPORE! I will be studying at the National University of Singapore and it would be an understatement to say that I am eager and thrilled to have this opportunity. Now, every time I tell someone that I am going to Singapore, they say WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU CHOOSE SINGAPORE? Here are the reasons I have decided to make this far away place my home.

It is located 137 kilometers north of the equator (today's Temp 32 degrees Celsius compared to Toronto's minus 10) Can we say "shorts everyday" and "Michael, you are nowhere as pasty and white as you once were."

The National University of Singapore has a surprisingly large number of theatre courses that seem very interesting to me ex. Performance and Popular Culture/ intercultural theatre

Tiger Airways offers ridiculously cheap flights to a number of South East Asian destinations ex. Phuket, one of Thailand's island paradises, return flight costs $108 CAD!!

There are thousands of hawker stands/centres offering a huge array of different cuisines including Chinese, Malay, Indian, and even western options as well. One can dine for as little as S$2.00 which is around $1.70CAD.

In short, I was looking for a completely different lifestyle and an opportunity to see a country which is located half way around the world…well here we go!!!! Allons-y!

One thing I must keep in mind is that the place is called "Fine City" for a reason. Allow me to list just a few examples of what I mean.

Chewing gum is indeed illegal
Drug trafficking is punishable by death
Homosexual acts are punishable with 10-life in jail (there are apparently undercover "gay cops" who lure men into touching them and then arrest them on site…CRAZY!)
$500 for smoking in public places
$50 for jaywalking
$1000 for littering and community service
$500 for eating or drinking on the MRT (subway)

Almost everyone: "Aren't you scared?"
Me: "Not as such."

I am obviously aware that this living experience will be very different than anything else I have experienced. I know that I will have to be careful and integrate myself into this environment one little cheaply-made-knock-off-designer step at a time.

I, as of today, still need to receive the package from NUS telling me how to apply for the $190CAD / month residence (SO CHEAP!) and then start the ball rolling with vaccines and budgetary work, flight planning, and etc. I however, am so thrilled and stoked to have this amazing chance. I hope that some of my friends will be able to come and visit while I am there. I have a lot to look forward to and I truly cannot wait!!! I anticipate slurping down a Singapore sling at Raffle's Hotel and going for a toboggan ride in "Snow City" very soon.

À bientôt mes amis.

3 comments:

Tokyo Tintin said...

You are going to have such a wicked awesome time! Congratulations are definately in order — or, as they might say in Singapore, "Zhùhècí"!

Michelle Chowns said...

Oh Mikey, how I miss you (still!) when you are even further away. You are gonna have the time of your life! Enjoy, my friend!

much love!

your one and only,
Roxy

tu est mon feu, mon seul desire.

Unknown said...

"i'm so.. i'm so.. scared!"