Thursday, October 18, 2007

Saturday Night Fever Singapore Style...Grrrroooovy!

Now, as an actor I have done many strange gigs but the one I did yesterday definitely rivals the performing Shakespeare on a moving train. So, last month this girl, Kate, from my Praxis and Performance Theory class told me that her boss needed a white guy for a gig. Me, being always desperate for a dollar said yes. Now, as I said, I have done many a strange gig. Have I ever dressed up as John Travolta from Saturday Night Fever and walked around three different offices of Merrill Lynch calling all the local girls "Hot Stuff" while shaking my "groove thing" and "doin' the hustle?" Certainly not...until yesterday.

Ladies and Gentlemen, this tale is a tale like no other really. I mean, it's the type of thing that you may see in an ad campaign. My intention and requirements here were to walk around handing out flyers to all the staff in the office's many floors. Singapore is after all the 4th largest financial sector in the world so imagine how many floors of Merrill Lynch there really were.
The flyer was for registration into a dance contest that will be held at the office party on 1st December. Let's just say that Singaporeans could be described as shy and giggly if I am speaking in generalizations...the women specifically. Although a couple of them were wondering if I could be there partner. (tisk tisk) If I could enter I would. I think I would have a shot at the $1,500 top prize. Moooooove over HR and Training room B...here comes the Canadian. I was, after all, born in the 70's. Maybe there is still some left over grooviness in me.
Let's see what my tag lines were shall we?
"You got moves hot stuff?"
"Let it all hang out!"
"Shagadelic" (means groovy)
"Get down tonight"
To name only a few.

Needless to say, for the day I was referred to as Tony; the protagonist from Saturday Night Fever. Along with Kate, (AKA Stephanie) we wandered around with a cd player blaring ABBA and other disco sensations grooving for a cool 4 hours. Now, ordinarily I wouldn't shake a stick at some cash but...$50.00SGD?? It was a very meagre payout for an insane amount of energy spent. I did have a bit of fun though. The big black fro that I sported for some of the day really made me look handsome and the specs..so bogus!!!
Now, I will add this to the list of strange things I have done and hope that you can all imagine what I may have looked like. I have no pic as of yet..but soon!!

Keep on Keepin' On Dudes
Michael

4 comments:

Tokyo Tintin said...

doesn't seem like a lot of money :(

Anonymous said...

hi mike how are you doin?

Michael Motor-Cyclorama said...

It really was not close to enough money for the amount of energy spent. So tiring being a hustle dancing, shagadelic fool.

reallylittle said...

Maybe not a lot of cash, but damn, one funny story.

Cheers.

Thom