Tuesday, August 14, 2007

12 Little Indian Orchards




So, before I left I was given a book. This book is titled "The Lonely Planet Guide to Experimental Travel." The book outlines many ways to see many places beyond the normal tourist attractions and expected routes. For example, "Backpacking at Home." In this activity you ask a friend to leave you at the airport in your city, make your way downtown to a backpacking hostel to check in, eat backpacker meals like pizza or take out, sight see, go online and meet with people in the city as friends..or whatever, go drink with random people who you meet and sleep at the hostel, then, find the route back to the airport as a backpacker would. (in Toronto you would take the godawful TTC and use a bus for an ungodly period of time to arrive at Pearson Intl.)

I chose to "Twelve Travel."

With this method of travel you, for example, take a train that leaves at 12:12 and get off at the 12th stop, walk or swim on the 12th line of latitude, stay in room 12 in a hotel, etc....

I, with limited budget, cannot partake in some of these activities. So, I did a budget version of this activity. Here is the breakdown of my activities:

  • I left my room at Raffles hall at 12:00noon
  • I selected a playlist of every 12th song on my ipod (more musical theatre on there then I thought)
  • I got off at the 12th MRT station which was called Farrer Park
  • wandered through the area which is Singapore's Little India
  • used the Lonely Planet Singapore guide book and did the Little India walking tour
  • flipped through the guide book twelve times and arrived at the Orchard Rd. section
  • walked through orchard road area and counted down to the 12th mall (yes, there were actually more than 12)
  • I was then quite hungry and was looking for somewhere to dine for $12.00SG and was tapped on the shoulder and handed a voucher for......$12.00.


    I chose that fateful moment to end my 12 journey because I felt as though that random, crazy occurrence was a suitable place to stop. HOW WEIRD??? $12.00, not $10.00. God was telling me that I chose the right experimental travel plan.

Since arriving in Singapore I have met some pretty awesome people too. It is amazing how being in a new place causes one to lose all inhibitions about just approaching people and having a conversation. I was also in Singapore for National Day. This was held at the Esplanade, a hug durian (Singapore's national fruit) shaped building complete with a theatre and studios and a library. There was a lot of spirit and patriotism going on, fireworks, army demonstrations, helicopters, music and many, many people cheering at random points throughout the night.

I have also begun my classes. I am taking Performance and Popular Culture, Performance and Social Space, Praxis in Performance Theories and Beginner Chinese. I will, of course, write more about what I do in each of these classes.

C'est tout pour maintenant.

I guess I should do some readings for class since the extended holiday has ended.....or has it? This place rocks my socks right off (literally because it is too hot to wear them here)







7 comments:

Tokyo Tintin said...

I dreamt up a new experimental travel idea the other day – we'll have to try it when I'm in Singers or you're in Gay Paree. I call it 'Checkmate Travel.'

Needed: Two dice, a checkerboard grid on a section of city map (each person needs a copy of the grid-map), two blank grids, two mobile phones.

Draw a checkerboard grid on a section of map. One person starts on the Queen square and one person starts on the King square - however, each person travels independently to the grid area and is free to choose any of the four sides of the grid to start, without telling the other player. The players may end up starting on opposite sides of the board, perpendicular from, or next to each other, but without knowing which side of the grid the other person has chosen.

Player One rolls a dice (1- pawn, 2- rook, 3- knight, 4- bishop, 5- queen, 6- king). Player One must direct Player Two by text message to any square on the grid within the limitations of the chesspeice they rolled (e.g. roll a '1' -pawn- so they can only move the other player one square forward, roll a '4' -bishop- they must move the player diagonally, etc.). Player Two rolls his dice as well and directs Player One in the same manner. Once players have reached their new squares, they send a 'Next Move?' text to the other player to get their next move. Each player should mark the moves he's given to the other player on the blank grid to ensure that they don't inadvertently send their opponent off the map.

Play continues until one player spots the other; a checkmate!

(Variation: Players must wait until both have arrived at their new squares before getting onward directions, allowing the first-arrived player time to explore the shops and sights and nooks of his grid square surroundings).

Michael Motor-Cyclorama said...

Dan, that sounds like oodles and poodles and noodles of fun. We are doing that for sure, maybe even in both cities. I'll have to refresh my chess knowledge. I may do travel pursuit. Basically, I will stalk someone and see where they go. The book suggests following friends and taking pictures of them but I find that a tad too creepy. I can't wait to have a crazy adventure here and there. FUN!!

Munchkin said...

OMG Michael that sounds like so much fun! I think I shall take your suggestion and buy "The Lonely Planet Guide to Experimental Travel" It will be a good experience for me to start traveling, even if it's in my own city for the time being :) Your travel experiences using Lonely planet sounded so exciting :)

Tokyo Tintin said...

What is the latest report from Singapore? We're all dying to know.

Rain said...

Since when. Durian being Singapore national fruits? :P

http://mpuspita.multiply.com/journal/item/165

http://mpuspita.multiply.com/journal/item/166

Anonymous said...

Ah! Puspita Kie! The poor little untallented hooker from Jakarta is still trying to find a white dick to suck just for a piece of MANGO.

Anyone want to try?

The Durian I mean, not the Kie.

Rain said...

Hm.. so this is the risk became a popular girl :-?
followed by idiot stalker who wanted to talked something but haven't brave to show their face..